Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GoldenEagle
    replied
    Is it just me, or does it seem that there has been a big increase in RotoLab posts this year over previous years? Users have been asking early and often!

Leave a comment:

• pate
    replied
    I certainly don't want to discourage discussions about Rotolab. There are things that are great to be posted up here like, "What is the best way to do....." Or "Can Rotolab do this......", a lot of guys will pipe in. I was just using this thread as a good example of how a question can get off topic and why I prefer normal support questions (where's my unlocking key, can't figure out how to update the projections, etc...) in an e-mail. Your question was perfectly suitable for posting here, I'd just prefer normal support questions to go through e-mail, at least for the time being.

-Merv
    Last edited by pate; 02-20-2007, 02:27 PM.

Leave a comment:

• stevusmagnus
    replied
    No prob. I will keep rotolab questions confined to e-mail from now on!

Leave a comment:

• pate
    replied
    If anyone was wondering why I am somewhat opposed to a Forum for RotoLab, this thread is pretty good indication. The title of the thread is "Editing Positions" and there 30 replies. It's pretty far off topic now (SGP vs PVM has come up), and while the debating is enjoyable, it greatly increases my support time. E-mail keeps people on track and is much easier to navigate and quicker to respond with. I'm not saying this is not worth looking at in the future, either here with BHQ's blessing or on the Rotolab website, it would just be difficult for me to do at this point.

-Merv

Leave a comment:

• GoldenEagle
    replied
    Where's Markus when you need him?

Leave a comment:

• stevusmagnus
    replied
    Where is a good article on PVM? Why would PVM be better than SGP in a H2H league? Or is it?

Leave a comment:

• pate
    replied
    Originally posted by GoldenEagle View Post
    There are probably 300 posts......about the differences,
    In RotoLab, go to League Settings to toggle PVM vs. SGP.
    I'll take $500 on the over, please. Here's one from yesterday: http://www.baseballhq.com/members/fo...ad.php?t=30293 And I'm sure there is a shorter way to show that URL.

-Merv

Leave a comment:

• RAY@HQ
    replied
    To add to GE's post... if you don't have SGP data for your league, use PVM.

Read the Rotolab help or do a forum search here to see the difference explained. But take Advil first.

Leave a comment:

• GoldenEagle
    replied
    PVM is Percentage Valuation Method. SGP is Standings Gain Points.

There are probably 300 posts (3,000 posts?) about the differences, and I'm not the guy to try to walk you through it all. It can get very deep (some folks love the theory and application). You could do a forum search on those terms and find a ton of stuff already discussed.

Sometimes ignorance is bliss--just set it and forget it. Depends on your interest/aptitude and time to dedicate to just valuation. Valuation is just one element of fantasy baseball, so I'm reluctant to advise anyone to "go too deep" unless it won't detract from the rest of their time to build a roster, budget, strategize, follow news, etc.

In RotoLab, go to League Settings to toggle PVM vs. SGP.

Leave a comment:

• stevusmagnus
    replied
    What is PVM? How do I set my software to use it instead of SGP?

Also what is SGP?

Leave a comment:

• GoldenEagle
    replied
    Originally posted by stevusmagnus View Post
    What is the difference in PVM vs. SGP? Which should I use for a snake draft H2H shallow mixed league?
    Well, SGP is a rotisserie concept, so you run a bigger risk of disconnect for your H2H league. I'd try PVM and do some sensitivity testing on the weighting until you see what you like.

Leave a comment:

• stevusmagnus
    replied
    Originally posted by pate View Post
    If using PVM DECREASE the category weights. If using SGP INCREASE the SGP denoms. I'd try that first. Working with the user values is still a lot of work, because you are subjectively editing them. Also, on the Editor screen, click on the Query tab to total your values to see how close you are coming to your league budget, if you are editng them yourself.

-Merv
    What is the difference in PVM vs. SGP? Which should I use for a snake draft H2H shallow mixed league?

Leave a comment:

• Randall@HQ
    Guest replied
    in my football pgroam, I have drag-and-drop ranking, but it is not in baseball yet because of the multiple position eligibility in baseball. Still working out some details before I can put it in.
    One idea I saw (not sure whose) was to use the RAR denominators to decide which position is most "scarce", then list the player at that position.

Of course this doesn't solve the multi-position eligibility issues, but it does take care of things like Piazza only showing up as a DH or similar.

Leave a comment:

• pate
    replied
    But I also want to downgrade guys like Crawford and Reyes who get their $ from speed.
    If using PVM DECREASE the category weights. If using SGP INCREASE the SGP denoms. I'd try that first. Working with the user values is still a lot of work, because you are subjectively editing them. Also, on the Editor screen, click on the Query tab to total your values to see how close you are coming to your league budget, if you are editng them yourself.

-Merv

Leave a comment:

• RAY@HQ
    replied
    Originally posted by GoldenEagle View Post
    Have you tried PVM with category weighting? Pretty straightforward way to drop the saves and SB's in the aggregate without having to go player by player tweaking the database.
    Yeah, this is the right idea. You can go to the categories page and set the PVM weighting of SB to .9, .85, whatever you want. Much more effective.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X