Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RAY@HQ
    replied
    Yes, that looks like another error. It's a relatively minor one though, compared to Piazza, because the difference in RAR "baseline" between a corner OF and a DH is fairly minor (at least compared to a DH and C). The bigger factor there is that we're projecting Sheffield's numbers to decline from prior (pre-injury) levels.

Techies are aware of the issue, btw, but I don't have a timetable on the fix just yet.

Leave a comment:

• mreyeguy
    replied
    I found another one, and we need to make the changes soon. My draft is starting next week. Gary Sheffield with an RAR of 0.3? Highly doubtful indeed. Is this another case of DH syndrome? Hopefully we can get these fixed soon...draft day is around the corner after the Super Bowl. I use the RARs to help rank my players....

Leave a comment:

• RAY@HQ
    replied
    We've been talking to the techies about it today. Apparently it's not as straightforward as it appears. Will keep you posted.

Leave a comment:

• mreyeguy
    replied
    It has been a little over a week since my initial post regarding the RAR for Mike Piazza. Is the adjustment for catcher eligibility going to be made any time soon?

Leave a comment:

• RAY@HQ
    replied
    Originally posted by mreyeguy View Post
    If Piazza retains his C eligibilty, as you have listed, shouldn't his RAR be calculated at that position rather than at DH?
    Yes. I suspect this is a bug, and I've sent a note to our tech staff to confirm my theory and fix it.

In case you hadn't seen, in the Glossary entry for RAR, we have listed the replacement levels for each position. They do change a little bit from year to year, and I suspect the ones in the glossary are not the current levels... but they're a pretty good approximation. As you can see there, Rivera's 5.50 RC/G is right in the neighborhood of replacement level for a corner OF.

If you spot any other oddities, do post them here. No need to apologize... it's always possible we've got glitches in the data that haven't been found, and we're happy to investigate whatever looks odd.

Leave a comment:

• mreyeguy
    replied
    Thank you for the quick reply. If, as a corner outfielder Rivera is under replacement level, then I owe HQ and you and apology. At first glace a RC/G of around 5.50 didn't seem it was below average, despite the low AB projection from his injury. If Piazza retains his C eligibilty, as you have listed, shouldn't his RAR be calculated at that position rather than at DH? And again, Ray, thanks.

Leave a comment:

• RAY@HQ
    replied
    Well, kind of by definition, if they're "oversights", we probably haven't noticed them, right?

In Piazza's case, just eyeballing the data, I suspect his RAR is being calc'd as a DH rather than a catcher (where of course he retains eligibility in almost all leagues). I'll pass that along to the techies for their attention.

In Rivera's case, I think his negative RAR is justified. Scoresheet didn't give him CF-worthy range, and his RC/G is below the replacement level of a corner OF.

If you've got other questions, please post and I'll investigate and get them rectified as warranted (or defend them as needed).

Leave a comment:

• mreyeguy
    started a topic Rar

Rar

I always understand there are a few bugs to work out with the stats every year, but our league is starting our draft on Feb. 5th, and there are still a few glitches that I see that can effect my rankings sheets. There are probably more that I am not picking up on, so how can I tell where they are?

I rely heavily on RAR for my draft format and at first glance, when I see players like Juan Rivera and Mike Piazza showing a NEGATIVE RAR when they are clearly not, how come these oversights aren't immediately corrected? I don't want to sound disgrunted (although I am to a certain extent). I really do not want to be forced pull out my calculator and check any RAR's that seem suspect. I rely on HQ mostly for draft purposes and if these numbers aren't correct, I am beginning to question the value I am getting from my subscription. There are obvious mistakes that have yet to be addressed or rectified. I am a long time HQ subscriber and was wondering when I can expect these corrections, because D-Day is close at hand!!!!!
Working...
X