HQ Radio

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HQ Radio

I have been listening to PD's HQ Radio since January -- it's a wonderful feature. However, in season, the new show is posted so late on Friday that much of the discussion about the weekend action is academic by the time I listen to it.

It's 4:00 p.m. EDT and the new show is not available. My suggestion is that no references be made to Friday's games since I probably won't hear the show until Saturday.
    "All pitchers are liars or crybabies." Yogi Berra
    26th year, 5x5 redraft, mixed league, 12 teams
    24th year, 5x5, redraft, AL only, 10 teams (only 8 teams this season)

Show's up now.

Comment

Playerlink

I know this questions is probably misplaced but I have a terrible time navigating around the forums so I am going to take a chance. Chris Ianetta is a starting catcher but Player Link projects him for just 54 AB for the rest of the season. It also projects just 1 HR in those 54 AB, even though he has hit 10 in 179 AB so far. Is that on purpose? Same with Caleb Joseph, who is splitting games 50/50 in Baltimore. P.L. projects just 59 AB and 1 HR, while he has hit 7 in 203 so far. Is that stuff just out of date or what? If so, what do you really think these guys are gonna do down the stretch? Thanks

Comment

Iannetta: I think "Starting catcher" is an overstatement. We have him projected for 35% playing time, with Mathis getting 35% and Herrmann 30% behind the plate for Arizona. If you look at the Weekly tab in Playerlink for Iannetta, he's been getting around 10 AB a week. I think that's pretty close to 35% playing time. Short answer... unless there's been some recent declaration from Lovullo about more AB for Iannetta, then I don't think I see a problem here.

Joseph's situation is nearly identical. Also projected for 35% playing time, behind Castillo's 60%.

We can quibble over whether either of these guys should be set at 50% rather than 35%, but at this point in the season the difference in the projection would amount to just a handful of ABs.

Comment

I'd move your post to its own thread, but I don't want you to have difficulty finding it.

Iannetta is projected for 35% playing time, which strikes me as reasonable given that the Diamondbacks are carrying three catcher plus acquired a AAA catcher in late July. Iannetta walks a lot too so projected PA differs from projected AB for a batter like him. 1 HR for 54 AB also strikes me a bit low but (1) in a 54 AB sample, rounding error is increased and (2) it's consistent with his pace in 2016.

Caleb Joseph is projected for 35% playing time (versus 60% for Wellington Castillo). That does seem a bit low given the last 31 days playing time split between Joseph and Castillo. It's looking to me as if Joseph is getting 45% of the playing time lately. Given that Joseph is regarded as a better defender than Castillo is, I tend to think Joseph will hang onto his playing time.

To address your broader questions, the projections are always up-to-date in the sense that (1) playing time analysts are assigned to each team and are diligent at keeping those allocations updated and (2) the quality of a player's performance is automatically updated by folding in a player's YTD skills into our pre-season projections. However, we're not spending a lot of time at this time of year combing through the projections one-by-one.
          "I made baseball as fun as doing your taxes!" -- Bill James on The Simpsons

Comment

Ah, Ray beat me to the bunch by less than a minute.
            "I made baseball as fun as doing your taxes!" -- Bill James on The Simpsons

Comment

Thanks Michael. Glad our stories check out.

Comment

Working...
              X