HQ App in the Future?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HQ App in the Future?

Apologies if this has been asked and answered, but are there any plans to roll out a Baseball HQ App? I know we can get to Message boards via Tapatalk(which is great), but I'd love to access site content via App. And as we shift more toward mobile apps and less to desktop/laptops, it feels like it makes sense to invest in Apps

It's something we've (obviously) shied away from so far, but we're certainly keeping an eye on it. Current thoughts are basically as follows, in no particular order:

- making our data/tools into an app is going to be challenging
    - we could more easily make a lightweight app that allows subscribers to read our articles via an app, but obviously that's less valuable than a fully-enabled app.
    - the above issues are particularly painful on a phone, and less so on a tablet... but the full-blown site works pretty well on a tablet, and one of our design focuses in the near term is to keep improving the tablet experience on the full site.
    - as a longer-term vision, I think the answer that's preferable to an app is to a fully-responsive web site... ie one that automatically adjusts its layout based on the type of device you're accessing it from. That's something our USAT techies have done successfully on a number of other sites, that I'm interested in exploring for us.

Anyway, these are just my current thoughts... always subject to change. If you do a search, you'll probably find me giving slightly different answers to this question previously.

Comment

As a first step, I'd love to see just the articles in an app. Understand it's more complex for some of the other data/tool content.

But yeah, I understand some of the challenges. I just want to be able to more easily read the articles from my phone. So
      Etching as simple as bleacher report app or other similar.

Comment

Originally posted by Sleehrat View Post
        As a first step, I'd love to see just the articles in an app. Understand it's more complex for some of the other data/tool content.

But yeah, I understand some of the challenges. I just want to be able to more easily read the articles from my phone. So
        Etching as simple as bleacher report app or other similar.
        I agree. I read the articles on my phone during my commute to and from work so reading the articles would be my primary purpose for using the app. I don't think I would be trying to analyze the stats and projections using the app.

Comment

The easy answer there, if you haven't done it, is to get an RSS reader app and subscribe to our feed. That's the other point I didn't mention above... that RSS basically gets you an app that allows you to just read the articles.

Comment

Hmmmm. I have to use tapatalk now to post from work. Guess I need to learn about rss!
            "The problem with quotes found on the internet is that it is nearly impossible to verify the source." - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Any recommendations on RSS reader?

Comment

Second the question.
                "The problem with quotes found on the internet is that it is nearly impossible to verify the source." - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

I like and use Reeder 3

Comment

I use Reeder as well for all of the articles. Never have to check if an article is new. Just shows up in your feed when it gets published.
                    MiLBAnalysis.com / @NickRichardsHQ

Comment

Anyone one with reeder experience able to share how to link it to BHQ? There appears to be tons of options but not sure I understand any of them.

Comment

I guess more specifically....within reeder do i need to set up an account with feedbin, feedly or one of these other things to get it to work? Sorry for the noob question, just really have never played with RSS feeds before so really don't know what I'm doing.

Comment

Any help here? Would really love to set this up to have articles access at work!

Comment

Set up an account with Feedly

Then using an RSS reader (I use Mr. Reeder), click the + sign and search for baseballhq.com

A series of results will appear. Click the + for each feed you want, or just the Front Page one.
                            Last edited by NICK@HQ; 12-13-2015, 01:07 PM.
                            MiLBAnalysis.com / @NickRichardsHQ

Comment

Thanks Nick! It looked like I needed to sign up for one of those but I wasn't sure. Appreciate the help

Comment

Working...
                              X