How to interpret Team Depth Charts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to interpret Team Depth Charts

Quick question on in how to interpret the depth charts. If you playing time key is correct
    • For batters, each 5% of PT% ~ 31 AB (100% total for each position = 618 AB)
    • For pitchers, each 3% of PT% ~ 44 IP (100% total for a team's entire pitching staff)
    • For relievers, each 5% of Svs ~ 2 saves (100% of a team's total = about40 saves)

when I use the current in-season depth charts shouldn't each team's total percentage at each position add up to 25-30% since there are approx. 45-50 games left - or do I base the playing time key and the 100% of games left to be played?

Thanks
    [SIZE=10px]blueboy714[/SIZE]

[I][FONT=Arial][SIZE=8px]AMBL - cumulative points league with original rules established 1977 and continuous league since 1983 (40th consecutive year in 2023)
    Lineup: Start 1-C, 1B, 2B, 3B, SS, Any Infielder, 3-OF, 1-OF/DH, 5-SP, 3-RP, 1-Any P and Reserves-11[/SIZE][/FONT][/I]
    [I][SIZE=8px][FONT=Arial]Our point scoring system is:
    ++ Batting : R=1, H=1, 2B=1, 3B=2, HR=2, RBI=1, SB=1, CS=minus 1, BB=0.5, K=minus 0.5, E=minus 1
    ++ Pitching : W=4.5, L=minus 3, Save=4.5, Hold=3, BS=minus 3, QS=1, IP=1.5, H=minus 0.5, ER=minus 0.5, BB=minus 0.5, K=0.5 [/FONT][/SIZE][/I]

We represent 100% playing time, all the time. It's always 100% of the playing time available from today through the end of the season.

The guidelines you posted above are the full-season guidelines. That's how you would interpret each position's allocation during the pre-season (which is when the projections get the most attention, of course). We gradually reduce those guidelines every day during the season. We're about 70% thru the season right now, so you'd want to cut those baselines by about 70%.

Comment

We're actually allocating plate appearances (approximated by AB + BB), not AB, for batters.

We allocate based on 100% of the games left to be played. For each team/position combination (other than outfield, where three of them play obviously), the totals typically hit 100%.
      "I made baseball as fun as doing your taxes!" -- Bill James on The Simpsons

Comment

Thanks for the quick response - I suspected you were basing the 100% on games left and not 162 games, but I had to ask the question anyway.
        [SIZE=10px]blueboy714[/SIZE]

[I][FONT=Arial][SIZE=8px]AMBL - cumulative points league with original rules established 1977 and continuous league since 1983 (40th consecutive year in 2023)
        Lineup: Start 1-C, 1B, 2B, 3B, SS, Any Infielder, 3-OF, 1-OF/DH, 5-SP, 3-RP, 1-Any P and Reserves-11[/SIZE][/FONT][/I]
        [I][SIZE=8px][FONT=Arial]Our point scoring system is:
        ++ Batting : R=1, H=1, 2B=1, 3B=2, HR=2, RBI=1, SB=1, CS=minus 1, BB=0.5, K=minus 0.5, E=minus 1
        ++ Pitching : W=4.5, L=minus 3, Save=4.5, Hold=3, BS=minus 3, QS=1, IP=1.5, H=minus 0.5, ER=minus 0.5, BB=minus 0.5, K=0.5 [/FONT][/SIZE][/I]

Comment

Working...
        X