Thread: Custom Draft Guide – Input Questions

Question Custom Draft Guide – Input Questions

I’ve been using the custom draft guide for player/trade evaluations, but I noticed some major variations in the values I get in the CDG and the 5x5 $ in the projections. I know that there will be some change in value, but I just wanted to make sure I was using the CDG correctly.

The league is 10 team mixed roto 6x6 (OPS & loses are the extra categories).

Offensive Budget – What is the best way to calculate this for a league like mine that employed a straight draft. Since I am looking for the projections and the draft is already done, should I just add up all the hitters/pitchers that are on the team rosters and figure out the %?

Position/Bench players – We 14 active roster spots (C/1/2/3/SS/LF/CF/RF/SP/SP/SP/ RP/RP/P/P) and 9 bench spots. For pitching, since I can have starters on my bench and sub them in, should I increase the active pitching positions to something higher than the actual ones to best reflect the SP on my bench that I can sub in/out to the slots?

Also, since 2 of the 7 active pitching slots are specifically for RP, does that have any effect on the number I should be putting in?

For hitting, I am under in the position requirements for some of the hitting spots so I plan on streaming a few of them to catch up (for example I will use Sanchez and Prado at 2B to make up for a 13 game deficit.) Should I also increase the 2B to 2 to reflect this or does this not matter?

Categories – My league does Loses, but I am unable to select it in the category section. As an alternative, should I use Net Wins or Winning Percentage instead?

Sorry for the long post. Any and all feedback is greatly appreciated!

Thanks.
    Ryan

"I can't hear you, you're trailing off and did I catch a niner in there? Were you calling from a walkie-talkie?"

Offensive budget: shouldn't really matter in a straight draft context. All you care about are relative player-to-player values, doesn't matter if it's 38 v. 36 or 32 v. 31. Pick any of the mid-range options there.

Bench: yes, many users like to fudge the number of active roster spots to account for subbing in of pitchers, etc. I wouldn't bother on the hitting side, even if you're going to do some streaming there.

Losses: these don't work well in category mode, they skew the values too far... that's why they're grayed out. Winning% or NetWins would be decent substitutes (don't remove Wins, though). I might weight the Win% or NetWins at something like .5 to account for it being a substitution. Wins and Losses are hardest to project, anyway, so don't get too wrapped up in getting overly precise here.

Just to clarify, for the offensive budgets, buy mid-range, you mean just use the standard 66%?

Thanks for the feedback Ray.
    Ryan

"I can't hear you, you're trailing off and did I catch a niner in there? Were you calling from a walkie-talkie?"

Yup.

A post I made elsewhere for leagues with deep benches.
    Quote Originally Posted by RobR@HQ View Post
    Also, with 8 bench players on 17 teams you might get weird results. For leagues that have a deep bench that is usually filled with $1 guys (from the farm team or waivers, etc), I suggest reducing the number of bench players to the average number each team winds up with salaries above replacement salary. Say you play in a league with 5 bench spots, but each team usually has 4 $1 players. Then I'd reduce the team salary by $4 and input 1 bench spot.
    While the individual man is an insoluble puzzle, in the aggregate he becomes a mathematical certainty.
    --Sherlock Holmes