Forums: Unread Posts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Forums: Unread Posts

I've noticed that the icons on threads and forums denoting read or unread don't exactly represent the status. There are two different discrepancies I find a bit annoying. They certainly make it hard to not miss anything.

1) Come to forum home. See a forum(s) with unread posts. Enter forum and read ALL unread posts. Return to forum home and the forum I just completed reading is still marked unread.

2) Come to forum home. See many forums with unread posts. Read some messages, but leave unread messages in all forums. Return to forum home an hour later. Messages I never read and still should be marked unread are now marked read.

Something I love about these forums that many others don't do is when I get an email notification about a new post in a subscribed thread it tells me who it's from. So if I'm busy and generally can't keep up, I can tell if BBHQ staff or the person I was waiting on have replied and go read that message.
    While the individual man is an insoluble puzzle, in the aggregate he becomes a mathematical certainty.
    --Sherlock Holmes

Re: Forums: Unread Posts

Originally posted by RosenSama

1) Come to forum home. See a forum(s) with unread posts. Enter forum and read ALL unread posts. Return to forum home and the forum I just completed reading is still marked unread.

2) Come to forum home. See many forums with unread posts. Read some messages, but leave unread messages in all forums. Return to forum home an hour later. Messages I never read and still should be marked unread are now marked read.
    To force the forums to mark everything as 'read' in the short-term, I usually click on the 'Mark this Forum Read' link in the upper right of each forum, after I've read everything in a forum of interest.

The second problem lies with how the forum kepts track of read messages; I've noticed the exact same bahavior as you. I have no good solution, other that to say that we will be upgrading the forum software when we move to the new server, probably in the fall. Hopefully, this will improve what you describe. It can be a little irritating.

Hope this helps,

Doug Deakin

Comment

Deakin, perhaps I should hold this question till the new server?...but,

Similar to what RosenSama described, I never enter the NL Player forum because I play in mostly AL only leagues. Most always that forum is unshaded indicating unread. Sometimes, for no reason I can discern, it changes to shaded and then I open it to see and every message inside is marked as read (shaded).

Just thought I'd mention....
      "The journey of a thousand miles begins with the first step." Translation: Try to learn something new every day.
      Leagues: Auction - 15tm Mixed 6x6 ...... Snake - 15tm Mixed 5x5 live, 2x15tm Mixed 5x5 email, 15tm Mixed 5x5 email custom.

Comment

Working...
      X